The new TV season is pretty well underway by now… Here’s a list of my favorite new shows, returning shows and the ones I’m on the fence about.
FAVORITE NEW SHOWS:
1. Ben & Kate (Fox) This show has me guffawing every episode. It is my favorite new show of the year by a large margin, which surprises me a little bit, but I’m going with it. It’s super charming, all the actors are massively talented and hilarious… It is the FIRST thing I watch in my Hulu queue nowadays.
2. Nashville (ABC) I’m just as surprised as you are. I can’t stand country music, but this show is helping me get over that. A little. Very little.
3. Last Resort (ABC) This show about a US Naval submarine that questioned its orders and therefore betrayed by its own country has to be the most intense storyline of the new season.
FAVORITE RETURNING SHOWS (Of Which There Are A Lot):
1. Fringe (Fox) Now in its final season (Sad face), the Observers have taken over everything and shit is looking really bleak. It’s a couple decades into the future and Olivia, Peter, Walter and Astrid are trying to save the world from these once docile beings who mean to destroy all of mankind. So far this season has been no less than stellar. I’ll be sad to see it go.
1. 30 Rock (NBC) Tied for number 1 is… well, 30 Rock, who, also in their final season, has decided after a couple of mediocre seasons (5 & 6) to pull out all the stops and give us a major reason to miss the TGS crew when it goes off air.
1. Homeland (Showtime) Holy. Shit! Claire Danes needs an Oscar for this show even though the Oscars are only handed out for movie roles. This show is the new Wire in my opinion. SUPER compelling storyline. Superb writing/acting. There’s so much going on in each episode but you don’t feel weighed down or overwhelmed with information. It is the most intense TV series I’ve seen in a loooong while.
2. Parks & Recreation (NBC) It literally is one of the smartest shows on TV and all, but I mean, come on… We’re all here for Donna.
2. Happy Endings (ABC) Every single thing works in this series. Very well.
3. The Vampire Diaries (The CW) Every episode is a big episode. This show really does not hold back.
4. Supernatural (The CW) It’s like a procedural. With demons. I can’t get enough of this show even though it can be a bit redundant. I mean… How many times can Dean & Sam escape from Hell/Purgatory/Heaven?
5. The New Girl (Fox) Like Ben & Kate this show is funny and sweet and has a lot of heart. I look forward to it every week.
5. Modern Family (ABC) See above.
6. Bob’s Burgers (Fox) Genius. Pure unadulterated, animated genius.
7. Grimm (NBC) I had no idea. Another Supernatural-esque type monster-of-the-week procedural that turned out to be a winning formula.
8. Hart of Dixie (The CW) Guilty pleasure. Mindless entertainment… that’s actually kinda good. Don’t look at me like that.
9. Don’t Trust The B—— in Apt. 23 (ABC) The highlights of this show are Kristen Ritter and James Van Der Beek who play hilariously vapid New York socialites/actors.
ON THE FENCE:
Once Upon A Time (ABC) I don’t know. I got sucked into it last season and it was fine, but this season so far, for me at least, just seems a little antiquated.
Scandal (ABC) Shonda Rhimes doing her best impression of Aaron Sorkin. And she needs to stop. All the fast talking just to be talking fast is getting old REAL quick and is getting in the way of an actually super compelling storyline. The acting so far is a bit over the top and if they just dialed it down just a bit, it could wind up being one of my favorite series.
Arrow (The CW) I like where this show is headed. It just needs to get there quicker.
Revolution (NBC) I love just about everything J.J. Abrams has done so far (except for UnderCovers, which had a ton of potential, and Super 8… I just didn’t get it) but I can’t put my finger on what it is that is keeping me from engaging fully in this one.
The Mindy Project (Fox) It’s kinda all over the place but it’s funny. And Mindy Kaling is super likable.
Revenge (ABC) I was HOOKED last season. But something’s off this season. I wish they didn’t have us believe Victoria was dead, the Faux-manda is getting kind of annoying although what happened to her in the last episode is pretty interesting. And Emily’s Mom. I’m not totally sure what to think yet. I’ll get back to you.